A PREJUDICED JOURNEY - FLASH FICTION

 















“ I’m getting late Papa” I was in so much rush that I forgot to check the time.

“ it’s ok beta we still have 15 minutes left” my father replied patiently. All the footsteps started to approach soon a lot of vehicles and people gathered around and a lot of murmuring sound started to increase and then I was assured that I was not late.

As soon as my sharp ears heard the sound of train i was ready to leave my hometown. In my mind even before reaching the seat I was practicing how to ask the train breakfast Bhaiyya ek plate rice bath and coffee. Its my habit to forget things when I’m alone.

I sat in seat number sixty , my reserved window seat on the train, there was a small guy sleeping on my seat and about to tell that’s my seat but his father told him

“beta go and sleep near Ammi” he was furious that some random girl came and occupied his seat but what else can I do. I could understand just looking at his face how annoyed he was even I wanted to fight back but suddenly remembered I was 25 so stopped it there.  I was on my way to give speech to my students about ‘PREJUDICE’ and was getting prepared for it

I was observing that family which was near me. There was a man with his wife and two children—a son and a daughter. Meanwhile, the daughter slept restlessly, her father keeping a watchful eye despite his own fatigue. And I realized one thing daughters are really lucky when it comes to receiving father’s love I understood just by the tone he was talking to his daughter. I was bit worried about them by looking at their appearance I thought they might have not booked the seat or might not have idea about it. So I was arguing inside my mind whether I have to inform them this is not general bogie.

I even wanted to ask him “sir, have you booked this seat if not please go back people are soon going to arrive” but could not say.

 I hesitated to offer assistance or advice, caught between concern and respecting their privacy. But I was really worried about them how will they even stand with those kids in that crowd moreover train was so free and this was the best time for them to go there.

I was lost in the beautiful scenario outside and started to admire it with my whole heart even wrote a poem on it. Cool breeze started to touch my hair and face gently and I put my earphone and started to listen to my favourites songs. Heaven was on my way for me at that very moment. As the journey progressed, I found myself drifting off to sleep, only to wake abruptly nearly three hours later. The family was gone, likely having moved to another part of the train or they might have reached there destination I had no idea and preparation for the class was still continue on cab on my way .

A week passed, marked by rainy days and my lingering thoughts about the family. I saw a familiar face in a cafe one evening—a well-dressed man who seemed educated and prosperous. I had assumed many things about him, questioning his knowledge of ticket reservations and his circumstances.

To my surprise, he approached me with a warm smile,

And said “ hello  madam we have met in train you talked very less that day sorry for my sons behaviour”  engaging in casual conversation.

 I was so surprised and bit confused for the movement took few seconds to answer as it was all of sudden first a fall and upon that my presumption was on other side.

It turned out he was indeed the same man from the train. After realizing it I smiled a bit and We shared a moment over evening tea, and I realized my earlier assumptions had been entirely unfounded. I regretted jumping to conclusions and learned a valuable lesson about judging others based on appearances or brief encounters.

Reflecting on this experience, I resolved to approach situations with more open-mindedness and empathy, recognizing that everyone has their own story and circumstances that may not be immediately apparent. I regrated so much after that day since I was on my to give class about “PREJUDICE” that day but ended up becoming victim to it. And I was little ashamed for judging him on his cloth and appearance

I shared the incident with my close friend who was going to meet that day and accidently met my co traveller of train.

Shreesha said “it’s ok, it happens to everyone but at least you got a chance to realize your mistake be grateful for that” then my overthinking mind put a full stop to all my running emotions.

Later I enjoyed great snacks and food prepared by his mom and went out with them and ended my day with a sweet ice-cream. Even though it was just a small day it was indeed a great day where I learned to correct my mistake.

And also remembered a quote “everything happens for a reason” it might be coincident or just a mere accident.

In the end, my encounter with him taught me that assumptions often cloud our understanding and hinder genuine connections that could otherwise be made.

 



 

Comments

Popular Posts